Wednesday, November 26, 2008

All I want for Christmas is...

Last night I watched "Love Actually." What a great movie. It is set entirely during the holiday season. Christmas music abounds throughout the film. Although not everyone ends up with a happy ending, like the guy who is in love with his best friend's wife, or the woman who for gos a hot affair to take care of her sick brother, you finish the movie feeling like love and relationships during the holiday season are close to the best thing since fucking sliced bread. If you can watch that movie and not cry when Colin Firth proposes in Portuguese, well, you simply do not have a heart.

I LOVE the holidays more than any other time of the year. Especially here in New York, where the very air seems to radiate excitement for Christmas, Hanukkah, etc... So what if I have Mariah Carey, "All I Want for Christmas is You," on repeat on my i-pod. Don't judge me. All this being said, I am single and the holiday season is slowly approaching. Don't get me wrong, this does open plenty of opportunities for drinking too much eggnog and and accidentally placing myself underneath mistletoe for an entire Christmas party. Unfortunately this is not an option at my office Holiday party due to the fact it is been canceled because the "economy." And lets face it, my work crush (who is currently on his honeymoon!!!) would be standing under the mistletoe with his wife, so how much fun would that really be anyway?

There is simply something to be said for having "someone" during the Holiday season. Last year I forced my now ex-boy friend to listen to the Nutcracker soundtrack with me, watch the Nutcracker on TV (instead of a Knicks game) and go to a live performance of the Nutcracker during which an 8 year old kicked the back of his chair the entire time. Walking to dinner afterwards, I continued to pester him about visions of sugar plum fairies, until it suddently it started to snow. At that moment I stopped my Nutcracker jokes (temporarily) and realized the best part of "relationship stuff" at Christmas: being able to share the romanticism of the New York holiday season with someone you care about - yikes.

BUT - that was LAST year. I was in a DIFFERENT place. Now, THIS year, I am excited about having a holiday party and finding exciting holiday activities in New York that I never knew existed last year when I was too busy annoying my ex with Tchaikovsky. I think I am going to look into making a mistletoe headband, as well...

No comments: